Rather it’s to protect your home from potential burglars, or baby proofing your home, there are various home safety tips to adhere to, in order to ensure safety for you and your loved ones. Obtaining high quality home security systems are always crucial especially these days. With criminals being more sophisticated in their perverse tactics, you can’t risk to have nothing but the best in home security.
Other than obtaining the best home security systems, the following include general home security measures to take:
- Be mindful not to leave keys in the door, or not to have the door unlocked.
- Identify the entry points most likely a burglar will use before making security improvements.
- Make sure the exterior doors are strong enough to withstand a lot of force.
- Make sure the exterior doors are secured with a deadbolt lock with at least an one inch throw.
- The frames and strike plates for exterior doors must be anchored to the main construction of the home.
- The frames must be free of cracks, warping, and other types of wear and tear, and the frame and exterior doors should snugly fit against each other.
- Must have solid core wood, or other reinforced doors.
- Must have tampered proof hinges, heavy duty strike plates, and three inch screws.
- There should be a door wide angle of 180 degrees and a peephole.
- Sliding glass windows and glass doors must be secured from being completed out of the frame, or against forcing locks.
- High risk windows must be secured enough to impede or discourage possible intrusion.
- There should be more security with extra locks or pins on double hung windows to discourage prying.
- There should be exterior and interior installation to activate lights during your absence.
- All window and door entrances must be well lit at night- especially in stormy/rainy nights in Seattle, the visibility is very dim.
- Your address should be posted and clearly visible night and day from the street. Sometimes the storms and rain in Seattle would prevent clear visibility, so this is very important.
- There must be security film or safety glass on vulnerable windows.
- There should be motion sensor lighting that are specifically directed on vulnerable areas and entry points.
There should be other, home safety tips, that should be taken in addition to security against criminals. Due to the amount of fatal injuries occurring to young children age five and under, it will behoove adults to strictly adhere to baby proofing the home. Young children can digest toxins, such as cleaning supplies; they can pull down items; they can turn over cabinets and desk that are not secured, etc. There are so many, safety tips at home, that must be taken so seriously that parents must search thoroughly on the potential dangers. With the potential dangers listed, it’s important to secure furniture and appliances. There should also be locks on the cabinet doors, washers, dryers, and other areas that can easily open, like windows and armoires.